In this chilly weather we all crave warm, comforting and nutritious home cooked foods. And what’s better than a silky smooth, hot butternut squash and sweet potato soup. We like to put our very own twist on this traditional dish by drizzling Coppa Della Maga over each bowl. Don’t knock it till you’ve tasted it – trust us!
- 500 grams of sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 yellow onions thinly diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 6 scoops Sesame & Honey or Classic Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven at 200C. Meanwhile chop and deseed your sweet potato and butternut squash. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season. Roast on two baking trays for half an hour (or until soft).
- Remove from the oven, let it cool and then remove the skin.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan and add onions and garlic. Heat gently for five minutes before adding the butternut squash, sweet potato and hot stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat and stir.
- Once it all comes to a boil puree the soup with a stick blender. Taste it to see whether it needs more seasoning.
- Microwave 6 scoops of Coppa della Maga until melted.
- Pour the soup into warm bowls and stir in the ice cream.
Enjoy and see if your guests can name the secret ingredient (we don’t think they will!)